Is too much variety in NSFW art a problem for getting followers to stay?

Discussion in 'The Naughty Corner' started by Screwdriver, Jan 20, 2019.

?

When looking at other artists galleries, does them drawing multiple things turn you away?

1. YUP! I only like what I like, get everything else away from me!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NOPE! If I like someones art, I will stay regardless of what else they draw.

66.7%
  3. ITS COMPLICATED, OKAY? It really depends on the artist AND what they are drawing

33.3%
  1. Screwdriver Member

Blog Posts:
    I draw a lot of lesbians in my NSFW art, and when I dont I draw a lot of Gay guys.
    But I have found when trying to show my art on various social media site and/or gallery sites, the fact that I post both kinda pushes people away?
    Like the people who come (ha ha) for the lesbians, often dont stay cause of all the Gay dudes, and the people who come (once again, tee hee) for the Gay guys dont stay cause of the lesbians.
    Its not a problem I have on my SFW art accounts so I am left a little perplexed.

Thats not to say that I dont sometimes choose not to follow an artist based on some of the things they draw even if I like at least half of what they do. I mean, everybody has a different line I guess.

Like, on twitter I am gaining then losing followers like crazy cause of this, lol. I thought maybe I should have two accounts one for posting ladies and one for posting dudes, but like, I already have enough online personas, it would be silly to give myself one more that I didnt really want.
    I am just trying to find a balance where I can still just draw which ever variety of gay I feel like that day, its so weird.

Anyone else have this issue or a somewhat similar struggle with getting their art out there so to speak?
    OR when your choosing to follow and artist does that kinda thing effect you? Tell me about it please!
    I dont really expect like a big solution or anything but it would just be nice to know how other people are dealing with this kind of thing and the thought process for other people.
  2. novax Erolair Partner Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    I can only tell from my own observations as artist on certain things.
    When I first put up transgender people in my images, it raised some eyebrows. Especially when one was obvious to be a transwoman. Maybe more than I know, but only a rather little amount of people comment on my images, so it's hard to say on that base. Certainly, if I would post gay art it would have some bigger impact, but I can only guess on that end.

Now I don't see a lot of fluctuation on my "followers", as I don't use social media for my images and don't really keep count on the follower number on like DeviantArt... I see it rising very slowly with drops between surely, but overall slowly climbing.
    What I do notice more however is the amount of "favourites" I get on DA on certain images.

I do a lot of "clothed people stuff" so to say. If I create something with skintight suits or naked people, it usually gets a lot more favourites (and sometimes comments as well). If they're mostly clothed... less likes usually.
    If I do some image that does neither sex or death scenes (which is what most of my followers are looking for in my art obviously), it can be artistically as much impressive as I like. I sometimes create images where I think to myself "wow, that looks great!", and I poured a lot of work into it, and then get mostly no favourites on it at all.
    I know other artists who do "similar" things to me, and they often rack in hundreds of comments on their images. And I don't know why. Frustrating a bit sometimes.

Now I know I'm not really the socially communicative person myself when it comes to commenting other people's work, so I probably better shut up on that topic.

But, to answer your question from a watchers perspective: Myself, I'm more drawn to an artists style. They may do different topics and maybe there's only one or two images of them that I might like at all. But that wouldn't stop me from watching, as I expect there might be another gem coming around somewhere.

Without wanting to insult anyone though, I'm very sure and have no trouble believing that there is a lot of people who'd have serious problems if an artist would switch between what kind of topics are drawn like the ones you describe. Have no solutions for that either though. Can only say that you can never please everyone, and it's more healthy not to try either...
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Screwdriver Member

Blog Posts:
    I thought I might see some difference in the pattern of people looking at/faving my art or following/unfollowing me but it I didn't actually notice a difference when I starting drawing transwomen in my lesbian art. Which was kind of a relief, although I don't know if it just got lost in the fluctuations I normally experience or the circles I post in are just more progressive than I have been giving them credit for ( I hope its the latter)
    And it is so, very soul wrenching when you put so much work into a piece, and it just isn't reflected in follower feedback! But what can you do right? I'm sure it hasn't stopped any of us from taking that same amount of time on a piece we care about after experiencing that.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any real solutions but, it is so nice to see other artists perspectives on it! But I think you are right and trying to please everyone is definitely not a solution since it is such an impossible task ( and probably dreadfully miserable to even try)
  4. novax Erolair Partner Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    I can't say for certain and only from how I perceive certain topics, but the major reason for me for not having a patreon page yet is basically because I fear it might change my style to actually appeal to the fanbase in a way that I'd try to please as many as possible to rack in as much money as possible...
    Again, I can't say it's always that way and it's only from my point of view, but I do know a few artists who (as I see it) kind of subtely changed their works over time to what I can only assume is crowd pleasing.

If one wants to do that, for whatever reasons (fame, followers, clicks, favs, money...), everyone should do as they like.
    For me though, if I get to the point of knowing I have to do X images on Y topic by date Z, it turns from a hobby into work. I like it as a hobby, so I can do and express myself as I wish without having to make sure I don't repell certain (fans/followers, click rates, money givers, whatever it is one cares about most).

So from my point of view, my advice to you and anyone else reading: First and foremost, do as YOU like! :)
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Screwdriver Member

Blog Posts:
    Yeah thats a fear I would have too if I had a patreon, I have seem a lot of artists not have a problem falling into that sort of head space, so I'm sure its doable but I imagine its hard not to get super caught up in it.
    I'd like people to like my work but it's more important for me to like it, I think a lot of artists get that advice wayyyyyy to late though ( I sure did)
    I hope you mentioning it saves a few artists on here some undue stress
  6. bikdingle Amatuer [__________]

Blog Posts:
    I tend to follow artists whom I like. Some of them produce a variety of works, some appeal to me, some do not. I continue to follow them so long as they are producing some art that I like.

As an artist I produce wide variety of works, pinup, nudes, giantess/mini giantess, fantasy and every now and then picture stories. Some types of works get more attention than others (at dA in the form of favorites) and certain images seem to appeal to a wider audience (based mostly on favoriting). I make art because I enjoy doing so and have fun perfecting the craft of 3d rendering. I post art for a number of reasons. Partly because I feel it forces me to produce better work but also for the ego boost of people "liking" my work.

I've never even considered Patreon because people would be paying money for my art...which would then turn a fun hobby into a job in my mind where I would feel obligated to produce art regularly. For me making art requires me to be emotionally into the act of creation and sometimes I just don't feel like hitting the render button. Producing art for public consumption has shown me the world through the eyes of an artist and how emotionally involved an artist is with their work.

just my $0.02 on the matter
  7. novax Erolair Partner Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    I can totally relate to that. If it starts to become work, it's not a hobby anymore. And I like it as hobby, were you're not obliged to just do your job to please the masses and pay your bills.
    • Like Like x 1