Story versus pictures

Discussion in 'Art Discussion' started by Kevlar31, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    There has been a lot of talk about story telling vs 3D / visual art lately - would it not be better to blend the two? What I mean by that, is that if a story teller asked an artist to assist with art at pivotal points of the story could that not help in "selling" the story? I did this recently for @The Bodyguard.

Just a thought!
  2. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    I'll soon start uploading my visual stories here. I've tried several versions of blending text on images over the years.
    By now it's almost like reading a comic book, without speech bubbles though ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I'd be interested to look at them and see how that works!
  4. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    @Kevlar31 I've started uploading my stories now, so far it's only old ones (4-6 years old), but on these you can see me trying different versions of text on image already. Let me know what you think :)
  5. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I like the "text boxes" but how do you size them?
  6. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    I first write the text in my graphic program so I get a sense of how much space it takes. And then I created the text box in a layer behind it.
    Which is tedious to do, and I switched to just writing the text of what the characters say close to their heads in my new images. White text with a very thin black border and a shadow to make it stand out more.
  7. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh! Ok! I'll look into that. Thanks!
  8. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    If you'd like to see more examples of how stuff changed on my side over the years, I've not completed uploading all my stories.
    http://erolair.com/gallery/authors/novax.1391/

The way I do it now is probably best seen on the "Julia Jones"-story, where I left out mostly all onomatopoeia and used slightly different colors on the speaking parts to indicate the two different languages used.
  9. 3dx Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Is it truly a question about this or that? I think if you have a story to tell and the ability to underline your story with artwork, the two complement perfectly. In essence, for me, this had been the major drive to do something at all. The only downside to me is, you want to ensure you reach a broad audience therefore i do my stories in english, but i am not a native speaker. So i have to do some compromise on the story.... but thats it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Screwdriver Member

Blog Posts:
    I have been trying to make every picture at least imply a story and trying to do more enviromental story telling (which unfortunetly means drawing backrounds, ug) in my art, and back when I did the literature thing I was always trying to evoke imagery of some kind or another. Its like a big ying yang I guess, lol.
    With that in mind I think the right Author working with the right Visual Artist (in which ever form, I have just been using drawing as an example cause its what I do) could make the writing reaaaallllllly pack a punch.
    Cause in a way, both Authors and Artists are always kinda reaching out to kind do the others thing. :p

Aside from the collab side of things though, I super think art and writing work together very well to tell a story, cause, I mean, where a story with a few key illustrations is effective, on the other side of the same coin, comics doing the mostly pictures with dialogue is very effective in the same way.

I think 3dx is right about reaching that broad audience too though, cause as much as most of us are super about story telling one way or another, the other side of that is connecting to the audience. And it can be super frustraiting to compromise with a language or a style you are more comfortable with to bring in that audience.
    And its kind of a shame since I find there is often some nice things that get lost along the way.
    • Agree Agree x 1