Story versus pictures

Discussion in 'Art Discussion' started by Kevlar31, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    There has been a lot of talk about story telling vs 3D / visual art lately - would it not be better to blend the two? What I mean by that, is that if a story teller asked an artist to assist with art at pivotal points of the story could that not help in "selling" the story? I did this recently for @The Bodyguard.

Just a thought!
  2. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    I'll soon start uploading my visual stories here. I've tried several versions of blending text on images over the years.
    By now it's almost like reading a comic book, without speech bubbles though ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I'd be interested to look at them and see how that works!
  4. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    @Kevlar31 I've started uploading my stories now, so far it's only old ones (4-6 years old), but on these you can see me trying different versions of text on image already. Let me know what you think :)
  5. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I like the "text boxes" but how do you size them?
  6. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    I first write the text in my graphic program so I get a sense of how much space it takes. And then I created the text box in a layer behind it.
    Which is tedious to do, and I switched to just writing the text of what the characters say close to their heads in my new images. White text with a very thin black border and a shadow to make it stand out more.
  7. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh! Ok! I'll look into that. Thanks!
  8. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    If you'd like to see more examples of how stuff changed on my side over the years, I've not completed uploading all my stories.
    http://erolair.com/gallery/authors/novax.1391/

The way I do it now is probably best seen on the "Julia Jones"-story, where I left out mostly all onomatopoeia and used slightly different colors on the speaking parts to indicate the two different languages used.