So what keeps you pumping out art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevlar31, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! [_________________________] [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I have a huge amount of thoughts that I need to get down on paper or pixels, or into the ether. They keep coming from where I don't know! But they come! I'm very visual, so I do what I see, which always includes life experiences! What about you?
  2. PixelJail Partnered Member Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    It's such an easy question, but the answer seems so hard.

I've no idea what keeps me putting out art, or at least not in a way I can really word. Closest I can say is that....well, y'know how people all say artists must have such amazing imaginations? I think I have an awful imagination, I hate imagining stuff, I want to see it! I have ideas or thoughts or plans and imagining just isn't enough, I want to put it down. Why just imagine when I can display for myself and others?

And, on a different level, there's something amazingly therapeutic about just colouring stuff in, and working away at fine details on drawings. It's hypnotic, a goal to chase after that develops right in front of your eyes, you can see the being created right in front of you. Especially when you're high O: !
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! [_________________________] [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I must admit a lot of the time I am in an altered state of perception when "creating", alcohol is the fuel really! ;)
  4. PixelJail Partnered Member Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    Mhmm, that "altered state" is huge for art. Drives unusual ideas, gives an insane amount of energy/motivation such as being able to stare at something and just colour in for hours, and helps you focus on colour choices that are interesting and bright and fun. If the art created isn't something that's fun to look at high, I feel it could have been a stronger piece!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ [__________________________] Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    What keeps me going is the fear of losing my grip on the one thing I feel moderately good at. :XD:
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! [_________________________] [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I've seen your art and I think it's very good! Not that, that means much coming from me. ;)
    • Love Love x 1
  7. PixelJail Partnered Member Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    They did a study once of having people run quickly to the end of a track, and if they ran fast enough they got free money! Positive reinforcement, definitely made people run faster than the control group who just tried to run as quickly as they could. No incentives, less commitment.

Then, they got people to run away from angry dogs or something. No money. The reward was not being tackled and turned into a chew toy. People ran even faster than the ones who got paid. Fancy that.

Anyways, it seems that your reasoning @Punkae , while sounding somewhat pessimistic in nature, might actually be the best motivator anyone could have. You'll outlive us all !
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ [__________________________] Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    @PixelJail I was being a bit dramatic, but it definitely is something that motivates me. Perhaps equally as much, I am driven by the desire to make others happy. Whether it happens to be a commission or not, whenever I get positive feedback from what I've created, it always reinforces my desire to keep doing what I'm doing and try to do better. :meowlove:
    • Like Like x 2