So what keeps you pumping out art?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevlar31, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I have a huge amount of thoughts that I need to get down on paper or pixels, or into the ether. They keep coming from where I don't know! But they come! I'm very visual, so I do what I see, which always includes life experiences! What about you?
  2. PixelJail Partnered Member Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    It's such an easy question, but the answer seems so hard.

I've no idea what keeps me putting out art, or at least not in a way I can really word. Closest I can say is that....well, y'know how people all say artists must have such amazing imaginations? I think I have an awful imagination, I hate imagining stuff, I want to see it! I have ideas or thoughts or plans and imagining just isn't enough, I want to put it down. Why just imagine when I can display for myself and others?

And, on a different level, there's something amazingly therapeutic about just colouring stuff in, and working away at fine details on drawings. It's hypnotic, a goal to chase after that develops right in front of your eyes, you can see the being created right in front of you. Especially when you're high O: !
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I must admit a lot of the time I am in an altered state of perception when "creating", alcohol is the fuel really! ;)
  4. PixelJail Partnered Member Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    Mhmm, that "altered state" is huge for art. Drives unusual ideas, gives an insane amount of energy/motivation such as being able to stare at something and just colour in for hours, and helps you focus on colour choices that are interesting and bright and fun. If the art created isn't something that's fun to look at high, I feel it could have been a stronger piece!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ [__________________________] Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    What keeps me going is the fear of losing my grip on the one thing I feel moderately good at. :XD:
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I've seen your art and I think it's very good! Not that, that means much coming from me. ;)
    • Love Love x 1
  7. PixelJail Partnered Member Partner [__________]

Blog Posts:
    They did a study once of having people run quickly to the end of a track, and if they ran fast enough they got free money! Positive reinforcement, definitely made people run faster than the control group who just tried to run as quickly as they could. No incentives, less commitment.

Then, they got people to run away from angry dogs or something. No money. The reward was not being tackled and turned into a chew toy. People ran even faster than the ones who got paid. Fancy that.

Anyways, it seems that your reasoning @Punkae , while sounding somewhat pessimistic in nature, might actually be the best motivator anyone could have. You'll outlive us all !
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ [__________________________] Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    @PixelJail I was being a bit dramatic, but it definitely is something that motivates me. Perhaps equally as much, I am driven by the desire to make others happy. Whether it happens to be a commission or not, whenever I get positive feedback from what I've created, it always reinforces my desire to keep doing what I'm doing and try to do better. :meowlove:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    Mostly I do it out of fun. I visualize things I'd like to see or write what I'd like to read. In the past I did those things only for myself. In the early days I did screenshots and modded games a lot, and then I took the step to try 3D rendering. My earliest images from that source have never seen the light of public, probably more than a year while I was just doodling around for myself, until I got to the point where I thought I could start to compete with others.

I have a certain kind of dark humor, if you look at my stories you might notice that I steer away from too serious themes. Also the look of my images changed into a somewhat more comical style.
    Ideas come to me in all forms, and I have dozens of (rendered) stories planned in my head where I'd just had to find the time and muse to do them. Since they usually span over many dozens of images, it's hard to keep focus and stay on a topic, which is why I interrupt myself often with other images between. And sometimes abandon stories altogether sadly...

So why do I do it?
    Honestly, when I started making my images public, I was hoping for feedback. As it was mentioned previously in the comments above, positive reinforcement does work!
    I enjoy reading comments on my work, especially those who're more detailled or even better offer critque on the images.

I have to admit, I am somewhat jealous of several other artists I know that get so many comments on their work, whereas I can be happy if I get a dozen on a single image. It has become better over the past year, but I'm still far from what other people get. I often find myself watching other people's submits/comments ratio and wonder what's wrong on my side.
    Sure I know I'm not the most social type, and I know I'm having a hard time just commenting other people's work as well. If I'm asked directly, I can put up lengthy detailled posts on an image, and have done so in the past, but often find myself not receiving the same thing back. So yeah, lack of motivation there I'd say...

But I do enjoy the silent feedback, in the forms of likes and favorites others pick. I know not everyone wants to share their thoughts with another, and comparing images I've done in terms of their likes is sometimes indeed interesting.

I know I could probably multiply my "fandom" several times if I'd just start over and do a lot more nudity. There's a huge market for that.
    But it's not what interests me the most (that is uniformed girls). I have a niche with the style of images and fans that do think alike.
    And I've read the critique several times that "3D rendering" is no real art, because you basically just press a button and produce nice images.
    But I pride myself silently with the fact that I know how much time goes into my images. And they'd be a LOT more easier to make if I wouldn't have to deal with clothed figures. There's so much more to watch out for (nothing sticking through, much more ressources technical wise)...
    Just a really quick thing to check for yourself if you want: See how many 3D artists you can find that have characters wearing hats/helmets AND have hair underneath... you'll be surprised how little you find, because doing so does take a lot of work.

So self-encouragement and my own interests is one of the things for me. The other is feedback from others :)

And the third thing that keeps me going is commissions. It's nice to hear other people's ideas and visualize them! Mostly I enjoy making commissions, though I did refuse some in the past because I really didn't like the ideas myself.
    I'm not going to lie there, if someone commissions something I say it's not about the money. But the money is a nice bonus of course, and primarily used by me to buy new assets to make new images with.
    If I see a nice background/scene for example, I start thinking what kind of stories/images could play off in there. And having some money "to play with" without having to worry about my normal financial situation is a nice thing as well.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    • Love Love x 1