Community Choice - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Serious Table' started by Punkae, Sep 20, 2018.

?

Do you think doing Community Choice voting on the website is a better option?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ . Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    I know we launched Community Choice a while ago as a feature of the site, and initially, I thought utilizing discord for this might make it easier to bridge the gap between people who use the application and don't want to check the website as often and goings-on within the site itself.

Due to the difficulty with getting people to engage consistently without pushing, I think this was an error in my judgment and that doing it on-site would likely be better for us. What are your thoughts as a member of the community and user of the website?

How it would work is fairly simple. Every week, a new thread would be created under a Forum called "Community Choice", and submissions would be taken as replies to the thread. Judgment on it would be counted as total rating count for the post (all ratings count toward vote, even negative ones.)

We're going to do a test week with this. I'm going to start out with one today for the remainder of this week + the following week, ending next Sunday, September 29 at midnight Eastern Time. This should give us enough time to get the word out on testing the change of system. :meow:

@Member @Beta Tester @Founder @Premium @Moderator @Gallery Moderator
  2. Torre Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I do not have access to Discord so this will be better as far as I am concerned.

Getting people/members to engage seems to be an ongoing problem. I do not know what the answer is but it is not just here at Erolair.
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ . Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    I think that's the crux of the issue - people who are either inactive in discord or who don't have it/can't get it.

It just comes with more people! And that will come with time and advertisement. We're going to be running a new ad campaign soon, so if you're interested in having your work featured in it, keep an eye out for a post about inclusion rules (based on the advertising website's policy for what they will show on their publishers' sites, not our policy for submission). ♥
  4. novax Erolair Partner Partner

Blog Posts:
    While maybe many people use Discord, isolating it on a Discord is not a good idea, imho. You have a website where the stuff happens. Splitting some voting off to another base seems like a bad choice to me.
    My second thought is about the frequency:
    I like the idea of a community choice vote thing in general, but I'll put it bluntly: Do you think you have enough material and visitors at this point to run this on a weekly basis?

I know I'm not here very long yet. If you do cast regular votes like that, engaging people to come and put their votes might help. But it might also happen you see the same 10 people only every week.
    While I don't know about the exact details of user visits/statistics, how's this: maybe making suggestions via the forum for a week for example and then turn those suggestions into a public vote (ie, one that may also be used by non-members?) and put it up somewhere for everyone to see. That might prompt more people to cast their vote?

Again, I'm only speaking from what I've seen over the past 2-3 weeks here now in terms of activity.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ . Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    I agree. Initially, I wanted to do it on the website, but there were some people who wanted to see discord integration badly, and I thought perhaps we could encourage cross platform engagement that way. To be honest, though, it's just a messy, disjointed system, and I do think that utilizing the forums for it is a cleaner, easier way to accomplish this.

We can easily do biweekly (once every fortnight) instead of weekly. That's not a problem. However, I'm looking to push those weekly rank reward to the chosen creator. I would prefer to not make people wait such a long period of time to see reward from their success. Therefore, say we have a slow week, and only 4 items in total are nominated. They ALL get pushed to the featured community choice folder, and the top rated creator is awarded the title. That's been the system thus far, and I don't think it's terrible. I'm sure it'll pick up with time and more active membership. :meow:

6. froot New Member

Blog Posts:
    Personally I tend to end up ignoring group servers on Discord as I just don't have time to go through all the messages, so I think you'd get a better numbers of responses by doing it on here. Although I imagine the discussion about the nominations is way more fun and open on Discord, which would be a shame to lose? : (
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    I agree with novax, I wasn't ... comfortable ... on Discord the few times I was on it! The sheer volume of messages was exhausting!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ . Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    @Torre @novax @froot @Kevlar31

All of your feedback has been really helpful to me! It's great to get a perspective like that on it. I can absolutely understand Discord being either out of reach or overwhelming. And yes, it did have some pleasant attributes and is a little less formal-feeling, but I think we can sacrifice that for keeping things a bit more cohesive. ♥
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Leatherchain Member

Blog Posts:
    More of the same. I don't frequent Discord. I think you are are the right track.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. The Bodyguard Well-Known Member Humorist

Blog Posts:
    I skipped Discord after just one look back several weeks ago. So I haven't seen a chance to vote for a Community Choice as of yet.
    But my question is the voting by the Community, some of us may have the time to visit erolair every day, while others can't.
    Waiting for all of us to get around to voting on it doesn't seem fair. It would seem that whoever is here the most often will end up being the leading voter.

I think the admins choosing from our weekly nominations is appropriate. Even if the admin staff is just one person at the moment, I think we've seen enough of what Punkae has done, and is trying to achieve, for that one vote to be okay. I'm willing to accept the (dictatorial) views of our dear sweet (leader for life) Punkae.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kevlar31 Disaster of biblical proportions! . [__________] ✩ Gallery Moderator ✩

Blog Posts:
    All Hail Queen Punkae!
  12. Leatherchain Member

Blog Posts:
    Hail! The Queen!
  13. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ . Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    @The Bodyguard

I think what you said makes a lot of sense. As a middle ground (what I have set up for now, while we see how Community Choice takes off anyway), how do you feel about me continuing to feature items that I think need the spotlight on them? I try to be balanced with it, adding a variety of mediums, styles, and content. And I can cross-reference what I feature with what's been nominated for Community Choice, and vice versa, people nominating community choice can look at what's already in the featured folder to determine which things they shouldn't nominate. If anything does get cross-nominated (Is already in featured), I can always move it to community choice or exclude it from that week's voting, whatever sounds best.

And for now, it seems like a combination of having enough time for people to vote on your nomination as well as having an image that appeals to others in the community who frequent the website. And since you can literally vote on every nomination that's been posted for the week, you can have more control over what content you want to support. Do you think it's still too burdensome to wait weekly on community choice votes, even if there's still an admin-featured folder? I'd really like your input on it. It's very important to me to understand how others feel about these things because I'm only one person, and I might overlook something without realizing it. :meowlove:

And hey, if Community Choice flops due to lack of interest or participation, I'm always happy to continue featuring things. I adore you all, and I love picking pieces to highlight because you all put some serious work into what you do, and that really warms my heart. Praise feels extra nice when you've put a lot of work into something, too. ^_^
    • Love Love x 1
  14. berseh Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I don't even know what's a community choice. We're supposed to be voting on what?
  15. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ . Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    It's like the featured section on the forums, but the community (all of you) get to vote on what gets put there every week. :)

Here's where to go to nominate and vote: http://erolair.com/forums/community-choice/

• The newest thread will always be unlocked, so you know which one to post to.
    • Nominate each piece in a separate comment
    • Nominate up to 3 pieces a week
    • You can nominate your own work or someone else's
    • Vote on nominations by rating the comment (like, heart, etc.)
    • You can vote on as many each week as you want (all, none, etc.)
    • The creator of the top voted piece (the person who made the story, art, etc., not the person who nominated it) gets a special rank for 2 weeks

The rank is called "Community Featured Creator", and it looks like this:
    2018-09-22_19-06-54.gif
    2018-09-22_19-08-12.gif

Here is where features get shown:
    upload_2018-9-22_18-58-39.png

Attached Files:

16. hirumono The Hungry Tentacle [__________] Tentacle-Forging Author

Blog Posts:
    This looks funny! Gonna give it a shot!
    • Love Love x 1
  17. Leatherchain Member

Blog Posts:
    Have you considered giving it a Quicklink under the Gallery button?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ . Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    I actually meant to do that last night - thank you so much for reminding me! :XD:
  19. The Bodyguard Well-Known Member Humorist

Blog Posts:
    And what is a week? M-S? What is last day of voting? Do we need to show proof of birth to vote (ooops sorry, been ranting at another site).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Punkae Artist, Writer, and Professional Tea Addict ♥ . Author [Varied-Genre] aesthetic

Blog Posts:
    Voting ends every Sunday at 12 midnight, and as soon as the votes are counted up and all that, Monday has technically started, and the new round begins... also, lol! :XD: