Buying art of my New World characters

Discussion in 'Buying Art' started by Parnifia the Bastard, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Parnifia the Bastard Professional Procrastinator [__________]

Blog Posts:
    So, I've been drafting work on my series of games I call the New World for many years now. I've written sample dialogues, thought up character concepts, and even composed some music (all available here). However, my biggest problem is that I have zero artistic ability, and being a shut-in, I don't know any artists in real life who could help me. Thus, there is no visual content of the New World besides the Trilogy title designs, all made in Photoshop (here, here, and here), and all very amateur. However, you can change that! I'm currently looking to commission artists who are interested in drawing SFW concept art of my characters!

As someone who's never really commissioned art before, I don't really know much about the pricing. Thus, I'll leave that up to the artist. I understand that different artists have different skill levels, different financial needs, different degrees of interest, et cetera. I respect your judgement and won't haggle. That being said, however, if your commission slots are in high demand and you charge a lot for them, I don't think I'm the best business partner for you.

Finally, the actual characters. This is where things get messy. I've never had the time or patience to create a full list of characters, given that there are easily over a hundred of them. I do have an old spreadsheet of the 27 main characters of the Trilogy games here, which is anything but comprehensive. I try to keep the information updated, but a lot of it probably doesn't reflect my current conception of the characters. If none of those grab your interest, well, the best I can come up with is that you tell me what kind of characters you're interested in drawing, what you're good at drawing, etc, and chances are I'll have someone that fits.

I look forward to doing business with you!
    • Like Like x 1
    • ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ x 1
  2. WanderingSketchPad Super Awesome SuperModerator [__________] Collections Manager Rambling Writer

Blog Posts:
    Since youre a first time purchaser some advice i can give would be to look on google for image refs of things like clothing styles and hair styles and such. Couple it with ethnicity and basic descriptions like color of hair eyes skin etc. Maybe find lookalikes from google photos that best fit their faces and body types and then describe the differences ^^

Once this is done it will be much easier for cass me and any other artists to help you out =3
    • ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ x 1
  3. Yako Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Hey there!

I second what Pad (can I call you Paddy?) Said.
    Visual references for clothing, skin color, hair color, hairstyle, do help a lot and speeden up the design process, as the artist sees what the client wants and hasn't got to guess from writing what it is you want.

That is both the good and the bad thing about writjng. It allows you to imagine things for yourself, but everyone is gonna imagine different things. So what the Artist sees in your writing can be very different from what's in your head and that's OKAY.
    But if you want pictures and designs, it's really helpful to google some visual refences.
    Ever seen the 'Aesthetics' memes on tumblr? Thoe things are awesome. I made on for one of my OCs here, so you can see what i mean: shayasanya.tumblr.com/post/137295062429/sooo-i-wanted-to-do-one-of-those-things-for-ages

Another point is, Many artists do not have the time and patience to read a lot of text, A short, crips description of what you want and a lot of visual references are better most of the time. ( The table of your main characters is actually good for that!

Then you have to decide what kind of image you want. Sketches? Greyscale? Full fledged color illustration?

Anyway, last but not least, I wanna post a link to my commission sheet. (Shameless self promotion, I know)
    http://punkae.com/gallery/photos/commission-info-2016.447/

Hope you get what you want! :)

Yako
  4. WanderingSketchPad Super Awesome SuperModerator [__________] Collections Manager Rambling Writer

Blog Posts:
    Any updates or anything on what artists youre looking at and whatnot? And were you able to find photo refs for artists to go off? Dont feel intimidated to post here =3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Parnifia the Bastard Professional Procrastinator [__________]

Blog Posts:
    I'm not dead, I'm just focusing on some other things I need to sort out right now. I'll figure out all this maybe once summer comes.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Llama Love Llama Love x 1